4.21.2010

Cheddar Biscuit Cups

Original Recipe HERE

I'm always on the lookout for recipes for biscuits, breads, cornbreads, and the like...but only if they're easy and quick.  I don't always remember to plan ahead so dough can rise, and I often have something else in the oven that prevents a long baking process.  These "cheddar muffins" (so dubbed by *N*) fit the bill: a good combination of a crusty outside with a chewy inside.  The measurements listed here are doubled from the original since I wanted leftovers for the following night (and they reheated nicely in the toaster oven).

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
1-2 cups shredded cheese [I used a Mexican blend and some sharp cheddar]
1 cup milk [I used a combination of 2% and skim]
4 tablespoon mayonnaise
 
Directions
1) Preheat oven to 425 and grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
2) Whisk flour, baking powder, & salt together.
3) Add cheese to the flour mixture.
4) Stir milk and mayonnaise into the mixture, just until moistened.
5) Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
6) Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until biscuit tops are golden brown.

Notes: A success; they turned out exactly as I expected.  Next time I'll use more sharp cheese to have a more pronounced flavor.  Probably throw in some Italian seasoning, garlic powder, or dill as well.

Update: I made these again, adding a few generous shakes of both garlic powder and dill.  Even tastier than before.

Kid Participation:
* Measure and whisk dry ingredients.
* Add (child-size) handfuls of cheese (because kids like to use their hands more than measuring cups).
* Stir all ingredients together.

No comments:

Post a Comment