4.21.2010

Balsamic Chicken Pasta Salad

Original Recipe HERE

Easy and somewhat nutritious. Reminded me that I need a more efficient chopping device than my knife / cutting board / two hands combo, though. It was good served warm and even better cold. This made enough to feed two adults and one child for dinner plus at least two lunches the next day. Since Husband brought leftovers to work to signal his approval, this is going in the "make again" file.

Ingredients
1 box rotini pasta
2 chicken breasts, cut into large bite-size pieces [shears are helpful for this]
1 cup balsamic vinaigrette dressing, divided [I used Newman's]
1 handful of baby carrots
1 green pepper, cored & seeds removed
1 zucchini, peeled
1/2 white onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic, or to taste
dried basil [didn't have fresh]
dried parsley [didn't have fresh]
salt & pepper
cheese [optional; I used it]

Directions
1) Cook pasta noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Add to serving bowl with 1/2 cup of dressing.
2) Put chicken in medium skillet with other 1/2 cup of dressing. Saute 5 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle.
3) Meanwhile, chop carrots, green pepper, onion, and zucchini into bite-size pieces.
4) Add veggies, basil, parsley, and minced garlic into the skillet with the chicken. Add 1/2 – 3/4 cups of water.
5) Cover and let steam for 4-5 minutes, or until zucchini becomes translucent [don't let veggies become too soft].
6) Toss chicken and veggies with pasta and dressing [I didn't know whether to include the liquid from the sauce pan, so I didn't, and it was fine]. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or refrigerate at least 2 hours.
7) Optional: serve with cheese.

Notes: I liked it with feta; *N* preferred grated parmesan.  It probably would be good with any cubed cheese - I love smoked gouda, so I may try that next time.  And I may use toasted pine nuts to add some crunch.

Kid Participation:
* Shake spices into skillet.
* Stir all ingredients together during final step.

No comments:

Post a Comment