5.12.2015

Slow Cooker Chicken & Black Bean Soup

Original Recipe HERE

This was a huge hit, which surprised me because I've made many variations on Mexican/chicken/bean soups before.  Before it was even served, *J* told me that it looked delicious.  I served it with everyone's favorite cornbread, and the only complaint I heard was when I cut them off from more helpings.

The seasonings can be adjusted for heat.  I kept it mild so the kids would eat it.  To make it easier, I could've just done some generous shakes of McCormick Southwest seasoning.

I gave the soup a few zaps with the immersion blender to make it thicker.  We ate it straight from our bowls with spoons, but it could be served over rice or scooped with tortilla chips if thickened enough.

Ingredients
3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts [I cut each in half]
2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, drained & rinsed
2 cans (15 oz each) corn, drained & rinsed
2 cans (10 oz each) diced tomatoes & chilis [I used mild Rotel]
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
2 cups water
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2 Tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
4 large garlic cloves, minced [I did not use]
4 to 8 ounces cream cheese
garnishes: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, green onions, etc.

Directions
(1) Place all ingredients except for cream cheese into slow cooker.
(2) Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours, or until chicken is cooked.
(3) Remove chicken; shred.
(4) If desired, blend soup to desired consistency.  Return chicken to slow cooker.
(4) Add cream cheese; stir.  Heat until cream cheese is melted.
(6) Serve with garnishes.

Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment