Original Recipe HERE
The kids loved this, maybe because they didn't expect the combination of pineapple and oatmeal. Even *J*, who normally doesn't like coconut, gobbled it up. Most of it was eaten for dinner, but the leftovers reheated well the next day for breakfast.
It was definitely sweet. Next time I will decrease the brown sugar amount. Using unsweetened coconut, like the original recipe asks for, would help - but I can only find the standard stuff in the blue bag at our grocery store.
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil [I used melted coconut oil]
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 can (15 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup shredded coconut [I used sweetened]
milk, coconut milk, cream, or yogurt for serving
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13" baking dish.
(2) Sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
(3) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, oil, vanilla, pineapple, and coconut.
(4) Combine dry ingredients, oats, sugar, and wet ingredients. Stir until well mixed.
(5) Pour batter into baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until oatmeal is set in the middle.
* Measure dry ingredients
* Sift dry ingredients
* Combine wet ingredients
* Stir everything together