4.02.2014

White Chicken Chili

Original Recipe HERE
 
I simplified the original recipe a lot, both for convenience (I didn't feel like hunting down a variety of peppers) and the sake of hoping my kids would eat it (because they don't like super spicy things).  So it's really just a basic white chicken chili recipe now.  But that's OK, because everyone loved it.  Even my picky *J* said he, "LOVED it!"
 
My kids aren't big meat eaters, and they turn their noses up to chicken most of the time.  I knew I'd have better luck getting them to eat it if I incorporated it into the dish better than cubing it would.  So I cooked the chicken that afternoon and shredded it with the KitchenAid paddle.  No one complained at mealtime.
 
I ran out of cumin and couldn't find my chili powder, so I added a few shakes of Cuban seasoning to make up for it.  It was still pretty mild, but I could taste a hint of the jalapenos so it wasn't too bland.  Spices and seasonings and heat factor can be easily tweaked.  As expected, the kids added plenty of sour cream and cheese on top. 
 
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
1½ teaspoons chili powder
¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups broth
3 cans (15 oz) cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups chopped cooked chicken [I used shredded]
1 tablespoon lime juice
½ cup heavy cream [optional; I forgot it]
garnishes: lime wedges, shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream
rice [optional]
 
Ingredients
(1) Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
(2) Add onions, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt.  Cook until vegetables have softened, about 7 minutes.
(3) Meanwhile, drain and rinse one can of beans.  Mash thoroughly.
(3) Add garlic.  Cook an additional minute (do not allow garlic to brown).
(4) Add flour; stir in thoroughly.  Cook for about 1 minute.
(5) Add mashed beans.
(6) Stir in remaining 2 cans of beans, chicken, and lime juice.  Bring to a simmer.  Reduce heat to low; cook about 20 minutes.
(7) Add heavy cream.  Serve with garnishes and by itself or over rice.
 
Kid Participation: None, other than require me to grate several rounds of cheese for toppings.  Kids like them some cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment