4.24.2014

Turkey Meatloaf Florentine

Original Recipe HERE
 
No one in my family screams for joy when I say we're having meatloaf, so I very rarely serve it.  I thought this turkey version might be a little lighter and different enough to win them over.  I even made it in the muffin tin so that we each had cute little individual ones...sometimes, with kids, presentation is everything.  They all said they liked it that night, but the next day they changed their tune.  I guess it's not a do-again, but I liked it enough to hang onto hope that someday they'll come around.

Ingredients
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup finely diced onion
2 cups baby spinach, packed and then chopped
1 pound lean ground turkey [my package was 1.3 pounds]
1 egg
1 cup bread crumbs [I used Italian seasoned]
3/4 cup ketchup, divided
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
salt, pepper, and other seasonings, to taste
1 to 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
 
Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease a 9x5" loaf pan.
(2) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion; saute 5 minutes or until tender.
(3) Add spinach; cover skillet and stir occasionally until wilted.
(4) In a large mixing bowl, combine turkey, egg, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup ketchup, Worcestershire, and seasonings.
(5) Add spinach mixture to turkey mixture.  Stir until well combined.
(6) Press turkey mixture into loaf pan.
(7) In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar.  Spread evenly over turkey mixture.
(8) Bake 45-55 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads at least 165 degrees.
(9) Allow meatloaf to sit and cool for 10 minutes.  Slice and serve.
 
Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment