3.18.2014

Feta Pasta Bake

Original Recipe HERE
 
I thought this was good, but the rest of my family members are iffy on feta.  I thought I could sneak it past them if it was cloaked in enough pasta, but no luck.  They ate it anyway, so it must've had some redeeming qualities.

I used spaghetti, but next time I'll use a smaller, bite-size kind of pasta (ditalini? small shells?).  The spaghetti didn't hold the slices together well after serving.  Also, I think it lacked flavor...I was hoping to detect the balsamic more strongly.  I added garlic and tomato paste to the original recipe; the updated version is below.
 
Ingredients
10 oz pasta
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 to 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 pint grape tomatoes or 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz Feta cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons tomato paste.
Salt and pepper

Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
(2) Cook pasta as directed.  Drain; rinse with cool water so they are room temperature when being combined with other ingredients.
(3) Meanwhile, heat oil in large, ovenproof skillet.  Add balsamic vinegar.
(4) Add tomatoes, onion, and garlic; saute 3 to 5 minutes.
(5) In a large mixing bowl, combine Feta, Parmesan, mozzarella, milk, eggs, and tomato paste.
(6) Fold cooled pasta into cheese mixture.
(7) Add onions and tomatoes to pasta; mix well.  Return all ingredients to the skillet; spread evenly.
(8) Bake skillet for 30 minutes or until eggs have set in the middle.
 
Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment