1.13.2014

Korean Beef

Original Recipe found in my mom's recipe collection
 
This is a meal from my childhood that is pretty common.  It tastes just as I remember it, and my kids gobbled it up just as my brother and I did.  This time I served it over barley and with broccoli, though my mom usually used asparagus.
 
The sugar amount can be reduced, depending on personal preference on how sweet versus salty you like your Asian-inspired food.
 
It can be made two ways: as listed below, or just dumping the beef and liquid into the pan and allowing it to all cook together.  It can be hard for me to keep track of the color of the beef when it's cooking in the liquid, so I prefer to separate the two.  Except on nights when I feel lazy and remind myself that meat can be medium-well and perfectly safe to eat.
 
Ingredients
1 lb piece of beef
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce [I used low sodium]
3 Tablespoons sesame seeds
4 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
3 Tablespoons sesame oil
 
Directions
(1) Slice beef very thin (less than 1/4").  Put into a large mixing bowl.
(2) Sprinkle sugar over beef.  Toss to coat.  Allow to sit 20-30 minutes.
(3) Add all other ingredients.  Toss to coat.  Allow to sit an additional 20-30 minutes.
(4) Heat a large wok or pan on medium heat.  Use slotted spoon to remove beef from liquid; add to pan.
(5) Cook beef in several batches (if necessary to avoid crowding), tossing and moving it so no sides burn.  Adjust heat as needed.
(6) Remove beef from pan.  If desired, pour liquid into pan and allow to briefly bubble and slightly reduce.
(7) Serve beef and liquid over rice.
 
Kid Participation: None, except giving me deja vu.

No comments:

Post a Comment