1.28.2014

Creamy Tomato Soup

Original Recipe HERE
 
I took a chance on this recipe, skeptical that my kids would like it - just because most kids don't like tomato soup (despite what Campbell's may try to tell you).  While it was cooking, I told myself that I was going to have a lot of soup to eat for lunches.  However, upon first taste, all three kids declared it delicious and had two or three servings (do I count the one that *J* accidentally dumped over and splattered all over the floor, chair legs, chair pad, cat food, door mat, and himself?).  There was barely enough left over for a meal the next day.
 
The taste reminded me of pasta sauce, so it wasn't the weak tomato soup that I was expecting.  The potent flavor was probably what made the kids like it so much.
 
This soup was a home run tonight...which probably means that when I make it again, they're going to say they don't like it.
 
Ingredients
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
3 cans (15 oz each) diced or crushed tomatoes
2 cups broth [I used vegetable]
1/2 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 to 2 Tablespoons dried basil
Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or light sour cream [I used sour cream]
 
Directions
(1) In a 4-quart pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
(2) Add garlic; cook another minute until very lightly browned.
(3) Add bay leaves, tomatoes, broth, brown sugar, and basil.  Stir well.
(4) Season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste.
(5) Simmer on low heat approximately 15 minutes.
(6) Remove bay leaves.  Use immersion blender (or standing blender) to puree soup.
(7) Add yogurt or sour cream; stir until well combined.
 
Kid Participation: Shock me with an insatiable appetite for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment