Original Recipe HERE
I made some tweaks to the original recipe - namely, adding turmeric. It wasn't sure if the dish would have enough flavor for my liking. And there's only so many times you can dump garlic salt into something before your taste buds start getting immune to the flavor. I fished around my spice shelf, opened a few containers and sniffed, and decided it was turmeric's night to shine. I liked the result and resolved to use this unappetizingly colorful spice more frequently.
4 precooked sausage links [I used chicken]
4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 cups red potatoes, cubed
1/4 teaspoon turmeric [or to taste]
2 peppers, diced [red, green, yellow, or orange]
1 leek [white part], cleaned and sliced
4 cloves garlic, smashed and coarsely chopped
14-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
salt & pepper
3/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice [I used garlic & herb]
(1) Preheat oven to 350 F.
(2) Slice sausage in half lengthwise and then into thin slices.
(3) Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add sausage; brown. Remove from skillet; set aside.
(4) Add 2 Tablespoons olive oil to skillet. Add potatoes; cook 6-8 minutes or until a light brown crust forms. Halfway through cooking, add turmeric.
(5) Add peppers; saute 2-3 minutes or until peppers are tender-crisp. Remove mixture from skillet; set aside.
(6) Add remaining olive oil to skillet. Add leek; saute 2-3 minutes or until tender.
(7) Add garlic; saute 1 minute.
(8) Add tomatoes to skillet; stir mixture well.
(9) Add broth; bring to a gentle boil. Season with salt and pepper.
(10) Pour mixture into 2-quart casserole dish. Cover with foil; bake 45 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with cheese; bake an additional 10 minutes.
Kid Participation: None.