1.06.2012

Vanilla Cream Sauce

Original Recipe HERE

I made these waffles, and they were a bust.  Mushy, flat, and a great disappointment in texture.  Taste was pretty good (though note to self: cut down the ginger slighty), so I'll give them one more shot.  But the suggested sauce to serve them with was great.  It tasted very similar to melted vanilla ice cream.  Pseudo ice cream for breakfast?  Yes, please.  I'll be referencing it in the future as an alternative to maple syrup when I host elegant brunches and fancy luncheons.  And they'd also be a good compliment to the frozen Kashi waffles I serve our kids.  Both are equally likely scenarios...  I halved it to feed four people, but the ingredients below are the regular amounts.

Ingredients
2 cups milk [I used a mix of skim and 2%]
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon butter
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
(1) Add the milk to a sauce pan; heat over medium heat until bubbles form around the edge of the pan.
(2) Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a separate bowl.
(3) Gradually add dry ingredients to the milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens a bit. Do not boil.
(4) Remove pan from heat.  Add butter and vanilla; stir until melted and combined.  Keep sauce slightly warm prior to serving.

Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment