1.05.2012

Spinach Cake Muffins

Original Recipe HERE

The name doesn't sound appealing, and while *N*'s suggestion of "Slime Muffins" doesn't, either, I think it's more fun.  So this recipe may go by that from now on.

This should be a helpful recipe to have whenever:
(1)  I have the urge to bake something and want it to be (1a) easy, and (1b) only comprised of ingredients I already have, (2) I have a surprise 15 minutes of time with just my daughter and want to do something (2a) fun, (2b) easy, and (2c) not very messy, (3) I have a hankering for something dessert-like but know that I'll eat at least 70% of whatever I make, so it needs to (3a) make a relatively small quantity, and (3b) be something I can convince myself is semi-healthy.

These are very basic-tasting muffins, bordering on bland.  I guess they could be dressed up with some sort of frosting, but since they remind me more of a banana or zucchini bread in texture and taste, I left them alone.  The only things I'd change from the original recipe are (1) less (or no) salt, and (2) experiment with some cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup fresh spinach, packed
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease a 24-cup muffin tin.
(2) Puree the first six ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
(3) Combine the dry ingredients in a large separate bowl; whisk well.
(4) Pour the spinach puree into the dry ingredients.  Mix until combined.
(5) Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
(6) Bake for 12 minutes [mine were done at 11].  Immediately remove muffins from tin; place them on a cooling rack.

Kid Participation:
* Dump ingredients into bowl of food processor
* Run processor and declare batter "digusting"
* Whisk dry ingredients
* Stir wet and dry ingredients together
* Proclaim the finished product tasty and eat crow pie about the "disgusting" comment

No comments:

Post a Comment