8.03.2010

Whole Wheat Waffles with Oats

Original Recipe HERE

I love homemade waffles.  They're 200% better than any of the storebought ones.  And the great thing is that I usually have a few leftover ones that go into the freezer and can be enjoyed on subsequent mornings. 

I had planned on making a buttermilk waffle recipe that's an old stand-by in my kitchen.  But I realized that morning that I had no all-purpose flour.  I considered just substituting wheat flour and hoping for the best, but it seemed like too much of a risk.  At least not one I was willing to take while craving waffles and therefore would be really pissed off if I had to go without.  Luckily they turned out well - denser than the average waffle, but (probably due to the oats) not tough or dry.  I got two large (meaning 8 smaller) waffles by doubling the original recipe.  The amounts below are the doubled ones, and a few ingredient tweaks were made - so see the original to compare and make substitutions to suit your preferences.

Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick cook oats
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon [optional]
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg [optional]
1teaspoon vanilla extract
2 whole eggs
4 Tablespoons apple sauce [or canola oil]
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablepoons milk
3/4 cup buttermilk

Directions
1) Preheat waffle iron.
2) Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl.
3) In separate bowl, whisk wet ingredients.  Pour into dry ingredients in several batches; thoroughly combine.
4) Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray.  Ladle batter into waffle iron and follow iron's instructions for cooking.

Notes: Next time I'll mess around with the substitutions and amounts just to compare.

Kid Participation:
* Measure dry ingredients
* Whisk dry ingredients together
* Crack eggs
* Whisk wet ingredients together
* Whisk all ingredients together

No comments:

Post a Comment