Original Recipe HERE
This is an easy pasta dish that I embellished a bit. To make it even easier, just follow the original recipe. But I didn't have the makings for garlic bread, I didn't feel like making biscuits, and my go-to of a spinach salad would be redundant due to already having the leafy green stuff in the main dish. So I wanted to make this into a heartier one-dish meal.
As always, I salted the pasta water. However, since you use some of that cooking water in the final product, that was a mistake. The food tasted great, but it was too salty. The bacon provides plenty of that flavor, and the grease serves the same purpose as the salt (keeping the pasta from sticking).
3/4 lb of linguini
6 to 12 oz fresh spinach
1/2 cup chopped red onion
8 slices bacon
4 oz sliced mushrooms [I used baby bella], rinsed and patted dry
2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into bite-size pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Boil water for pasta. Cook pasta while preparing rest of meal. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid before draining.
2) Cook bacon in skillet large enough to hold entire meal. Set aside to drain on paper towel. When cool, crumble or thinly slice.
3) Use a paper towl to wipe / absorb some of bacon grease from pan if desired.
4) In same skillet used for bacon, saute red onion and mushrooms in bacon grease until translucent.
5) Add spinach and saute until wilted.
6) Add chicken, drained pasta, bacon, and 1/4 cup of pasta water to skillet. Add additional pasta water if preferred. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Notes: Just to not salt the pasta water.
* Break linguini noodles in half.
* Eat extra bacon slices.