2.05.2015

Baked Peanut Butter & Apple Oatmeal

Original Recipe HERE
 
Yet another oatmeal dish to add to the ever-growing list of easy oatmeal dinners.  I wasn't sure how well this would go over, since *J* isn't a peanut butter fan.  But he asked for seconds.
 
I doubled this recipe because there was no way an 8x8" portion would feed all of us.  The new amounts are shown below.
 
I could've added some chia seeds, ground flax seeds, or wheat germ...but I forgot.  There was a strong peanut butter taste, which might been due to my spontaneous addition of PB2.  I didn't mind it, since I love me some peanut butter.  But next time I'll leave out the powder or decrease the amount of peanut butter.  And how many more times can I say "peanut butter" in one post?  Peanut butter, peanut butter, peanut butter.
 
Ingredients
4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 & 3/4 cups milk
1 & 3/4 cups water
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup creamy peanut butter, warmed
2 to 3 Tablespoons PB2 [optional]
3 large apples, diced [I peeled them]
 
Directions
(1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13" baking dish.
(2) In a large bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
(3) In a medium bowl, whisk eggs.  Add milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract; whisk thoroughly.
(5) Pour the liquid mixture over the oat mixture; stir to combine.
(6) Add peanut butter; mix.
(7) Add apples; stir. Pour mixture into prepared dish.
(8) Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until oatmeal is set.
 
Kid Participation:
* Measure & mix dry ingredients
* Measure & whisk wet ingredients
* Chop apple slices with a very dull knife

No comments:

Post a Comment