1.19.2015

Ritz-Topped Vegetable Casserole

Original Recipe HERE
 
The amount of mayonnaise in this recipe made me cringe, but I thought it was worth trying because the bulk of the dish was straight-up vegetables.  And I'm not above smothering veggies in sauces, condiments, whathaveyou in order to get my kids to eat them...as I pretend that I'm not negating their health benefits by doing so.
 
I couldn't find American cheese in a block, so I diced up several of the individually-wrapped slices.  The pieces stuck together, so I was worried that it would mean pockets of cheese in the finished product instead of a uniform distribution.  Whatever ended up happening with the cheese wasn't an issue, but I would take more time to do it properly.
 
Next time, I will mix the melted butter with the crushed crackers before spreading them over the top.  The coverage was uneven doing it as the original recipe instructed.  Also, I bet this would be even better with the French's fried onions on top (because most things in this world would be).
 
Each kid asked for multiple rounds of this and told me to make it again.  It was super easy, and the original post said that it can be made up to a day ahead.  I'm sure that this convenient meal will be repeated.  Also, I learned that my kids like lima beans (from the frozen veggie medley)...they've been lucky to be spared the dreaded legume thus far, but it turns out it was for naught.
 
Ingredients
1/4 cup salted butter, divided
1 cup finely-chopped celery
1/2 to 1 cup finely-chopped yellow onion
2 to 3 cloves finely-chopped garlic
1 bag (32 oz) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 cup (or 4 oz) finely diced American cheese
¾ cup mayonnaise [I used 2/3 cup mayo and the rest Ranch dressing]
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
 
Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
(2) In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt half of the butter over medium heat.
(3) Saute celery and onion until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.  Add garlic toward the end.  Remove from the heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
(4) Add mixed vegetables, corn, American cheese, mayonnaise, and Ranch (if using) to the bowl.  Combine thoroughly.
(5) Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish.
(6) In a small bowl, mix together crushed Ritz and melted butter.
(7) Evenly sprinkle the crushed Ritz over the top of the casserole.
(9) Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
 
Kid Participation:
* Mix vegetables and sauce
* Measure mayo and Ranch
* Crush Ritz
* Sprinkle Ritz

No comments:

Post a Comment