Original Recipe HERE
*J* was excited to hear we were having pancakes for dinner. That is, until he saw the green-tinged batter and learned there were vegetables in them. He gave me the usual, "Yuck, I'm not going to eat them." The boy ate his words - and the pancakes - in the end. In fact, everyone thought they were great. A few were leftover, and they reheated well in the toaster oven the next day.
I made the batter, minus the flour, a few hours early, so they're also a good prepare-ahead meal.
I wasn't sure what kind of consistency to expect, especially since there was no mention of draining the zucchini. It took a little practice to get them golden on the outside and firm enough on the inside that I knew the egg was cooked, but they still weren't traditionally pancake-y in any sense. I made them small (so the middle would cook without the edges burning), so I got about 20.
The kids dipped them in ketchup, naturally. I tried them with salsa and sour cream as the recipe suggested and liked them that way, though they were plenty flavorful on their own.
4 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for skillet
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 cups grated zucchini [about one large zucchini]
1 cup corn [I used frozen]
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese [I used Colby]
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
(1) In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano
(2) Squeeze the zucchini to get some moisture out (don't dry it completely).
(3) Add zucchini, corn, and cheese to batter. Stir until well combined.
(4) Add flour. Stir until no dry flour is visible, making sure to scoop down to the bottom of the bowl.
(5) Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add a few tablespoons of oil; heat.
(6) Scoop batter in 1/4 cup amounts (I did less) onto the skillet. Press into 4" diameter circles.
(7) Cook on each side 3-5 minutes or until deep golden brown. Transfer pancakes to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
* Whisk wet ingredients
* Squeeze shredded zucchini
* Stir all ingredients