2.08.2011

Potato & Leek Soup

Original Recipe HERE

This is a very simple recipe that makes a great basic soup.  Despite being potato-based, it wasn't heavy or "dense."  I served it warm with toasted slices of a whole wheat baguette topped with a roasted garlic/butter/grated parmesan spread.  Both kids had four bowls.  Yes, four.

I had been cautiously optimistic that I'd outgrown my lactose intolerance (or at least a lactose sensitivity).  This soup made me a little worried I had a full-blown attack on the way, but I was able to fight it off and enjoy my meal.

Ingredients
1 pound leeks (approximately 3-5 medium), white and light green parts only
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
Heavy pinch kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
5 small Yukon gold potatoes
1 quart vegetable broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
4 Tablespoon snipped chives [optional]

Directions
(1) Melt butter in large soup pot over medium heat.
(2) Meanwhile, thinly slice leeks into rings.  Rinse in colander to remove all dirt.
(3) Add leeks and salt to pot; sweat for 5 minutes.  Decrease heat to medium-low; cook until leeks are tender (10-15 minutes), stirring occasionally.
(4) Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut into small chunks.
(5) Add potatoes and broth.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover.  Simmer until potatoes are soft (30-40 minutes).
(6) Turn off heat.  Puree soup with immersion blender until smooth.
(7) Add cream, buttermilk, and pepper.  Stir until well combined.  Adjust seasonings to taste.
(8) Serve hot or cold.  Garnish with chives after spooning into bowls.

Notes: I will try half-and-half, or even whole milk, to see how well I tolerate the soup.  Also, the soup was a nice consistency but thinner than expected.  Adding a few more potatoes would thicken it up if desired.

Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment