1.31.2011

Hummus

Original Recipe HERE

*N* has always happily eaten hummus, but for some reason I never made it myself.  Which is odd, because I made all her baby food and some of *J*'s (not as much since he was a pickier eater as a baby...something he has more than made up for).  And hummus is (1) easy, and (2) healthy.  So I guess I'm just lazy and can't resist the lure of the frequent commissary coupons for Sabra brand.  Tonight, not feeling well, I didn't have the energy or stomach to make a real meal.  I had the makings for hummus and a recipe bookmarked, so I went for it.

Both kids loved it.  *N* asked for crackers and all I had were Tomato & Olive Oil Triscuits (thanks, major winter storm, for preventing me from restocking our pantry for days and days).  She scooped the hummus and ate every last cracker, as well as every carrot and celery stick I provided...without a single protest.  Veggies with nary a cross word?  Unbelieveable.  And *J* used the carrots and celery as spoons, but I'll chalk that up to him not realizing he was supposed to eat them.  Much of his hummus was consumed with his hands and he kept asking for more.  So I will be exploring more hummus options - roasted red pepper, roasted garlic, served on bagels, made with dried beans, and so on, since it seems to be a winner in our house.

Ingredients
2 to 3 teaspoons sesame seeds, rinsed & drained
1 15-oz can chickpeas
1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
2 Tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons olive oil

Directions
(1) In small pan on medium-high heat, toast sesame seeds until just turning golden brown.
(2) In food processor bowl, combine sesame seeds and all ingredients except oilve oil.  Process until smooth.  Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
(3) Add olive oil; process until smooth.

Notes: None.

Kid Participation:
* Add ingredients to food processor bowl
* Operate food processor

No comments:

Post a Comment