12.02.2010

Sweet Potato Biscuits

Original Recipe HERE

I made these because I had a rogue sweet potato that I wasn't inspired by.  Then I stumbled upon this recipe.  The results were good, all-purpose, standard biscuits.  The sweet potato flavor wasn't as strong as I'd expected, but that was perfectly fine.  Both kids loved these, and they held up pretty well in a sealed container for two days (got a little "humid" before they dried out, but it wasn't a big deal).

I made this with a food processor per the directions, but I think they could be made with a regular bowl, whisk, pastry cutter, and serious elbowgrease.  I also used a silpat and a star-shaped cookie cutter to make it interesting for the kids.  The puffed-up biscuits held their shape well, so next time I'll be more adventurous.

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, chilled and cubed
1 cup cooked & mashed sweet potatoes, cooked & mashed
1/3 cup milk
2 Tablespoons honey
Cooking Spray

Directions
(1) Preheat oven to 400 F.
(2) Place flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in food processor.  Pulse to combine.
(3) Add butter.  Pulse until it resembles coarse meal.
(4) Add sweet potatoes, milk and honey.  Pulse until dough comes together.
(5) Place dough onto parchment paper and knead 5 times.
(6) Place another parchment paper on top.  Roll out to 1/2" to 3/4" thick.  Cut into biscuits.
(7) Place biscuits on silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
(8) Bake 12-15 minutes (depending on size of biscuits) or until lightly golden.  Cool and serve.

Notes: I would serve them with salted butter or honey. Pumpkin or apple butter could be tasty but might overwhelm the slight sweet potato flavor.

Kid Participation:
* Add dry ingredients to food processor bowl
* Pulse food processor
* Knead dough
* Roll dough
* Cut out biscuit shapes


No comments:

Post a Comment