6.15.2010

Spinach and Chick Peas with Bacon

Original Recipe HERE

I wasn't sure if this would work better as a side dish or could serve as a main dish, so I served it as a side.  With a little more jazzing up (diced chicken? chopped tomatoes and peppers? sliced sausage?) it could be a full meal.  I served it when my mother was visiting, and she raved about it and asked for the recipe.  We ate it warm for dinner, but after trying it cold the next day, I think I liked it even better chilled.  This would be a great contribution to a picnic or potluck, as long as you at least double the recipe (and probably triple the amount of chickpeas).

Ingredients
3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped into bite-size slices (about 1/2 inch thick)
3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil [I found I needed more]
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
8 cups baby spinach, approximate (6 ozs), chopped and with any tough stems discarded
1 garlic clove, minced

Directions
1) Cook bacon in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until browned.
2) Leaving bacon in skillet, spoon off all but 1 tablespoon fat.  Add 2 tablespoons oil, chickpeas, and red pepper flakes to skillet and sauté over high heat, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas begin to brown (3 to 4 minutes).
3) Stir in spinach and garlic and sauté, stirring, until spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper.

Notes: Frozen spinach might work and would speed up the process.  Also, because I much prefer to cook bacon the Foreman, I will try that and just spoon a little of the grease into the pan, chopping the bacon once it's cooked and adding it into the skillet at the end.  *N* loved the chickpeas and bacon, though as expected, she carefully picked out all the spinach.

Kid Participation:
* Not really a kid-friendly meal to prepare, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment