3.23.2014

Pepper Pasta Sauce

Original Recipe HERE
 
I thought this was a sneaky way to get a bit of vegetables into my kids.  Except *J*'s picky streak continues and he barely ate any.  *N* had seconds but declared, "It tastes...vegetable-y."  And so I came clean, and the thought of a pepper (normally something they avoid like the plague) diminished her enjoyment of further bites.
 
Husband and I really liked this.  I thought the pepper gave the sauce a nice twist and a slight sweetness.  I made several variations on the original recipe: amount of onion and garlic, addition of tomato paste, different type of sausage and tomatoes.
 
Ingredients
1 lb (16 oz box) dry pasta [I used small shells]
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 lb sausage [I used pre-cooked chicken]
1 can (14.5 oz) diced or crushed tomatoes
1 to 2 Tablespoons tomato paste [I used 2]
1/2 to 1 cup heavy cream [I used 1/2 cup]
1/2 to 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese [I used 2/3 cup]
 
Directions
(1) Cook pasta according to package directions.
(2) Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
(3) Add onion and pepper to skillet.  Saute until just tender, about 3-5 minutes.
(4) While vegetables are cooking, cut sausages in half length-wise and then into small slices.
(5) Add garlic to skillet.  Saute until softened but not browned.
(6) Stir in tomatoes and heavy cream.  Reduce heat to medium-low; cook about 5 minutes.
(7) Use an immersion blender to puree sauce to desired consistency.
(8) Add sausage to sauce; heat through.
(9) Stir in Parmesan cheese until mixed well.
(10) Serve sauce over pasta.
 
Kid Participation: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment