4.27.2010

Mustard-Roasted Potatoes

Original Recipe HERE

I was looking to use up the rest of a 5-pound bag of potatoes, and *N* loves fries (as do her mother and father...).  They turned out better than expected, since I've never had good luck with homemade fries.  They were a little more heavily crisped (OK, burned) than I'd have liked, but I think I cut the potato wedges too thick (because I didn't have the small potatoes the original recipe asked for).  Still, I was surprised at how well they reheated in the toaster oven the next day - maybe the butter kept them from drying out too much?  I'll be trying these again.

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cup whole grain Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick or 1/2 ounce) butter, melted
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon lemon extract [since I didn't have lemon peel]
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
2-3 pounds unpeeled white-skinned potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch-wide wedges

Directions
1) Position one rack in top third of oven and one rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 425°F.
2) Spray a large rimmed baking sheets with nonstick spray.
3) Whisk mustard, olive oil, butter, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, lemon extract, and salt in large bowl.
4) Put potato wedges in a large resealable container, sprinkle with pepper, and add mustard dressing.  Shake until wedges are well coated.
5) Spread potatoes in a single layer on baking sheet, leaving excess mustard mixture behind in bowl.
6) Roast potatoes on lower rack for 20 minutes. Move baking sheet to upper rack and roast until potatoes are crusty outside and tender inside, turning occasionally, about 25 minutes longer.
7) Optional: Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand on baking sheets at room temperature. Rewarm potatoes in 425°F oven 10 minutes.

Notes: I'll use less lemon extract next time to see if more mustard taste comes through (though the lemon was not overpowering).  I'll use smaller potatoes as well to make sure the insides of the wedges are tender before the outside gets too browned.  Also, I did the rewarming trick because I made these during *J*'s late afternoon nap.  I'll (try to) plan to make them so they're timed with the rest of dinner.
 
Kid Participation:
* Whisking mustard dressing.
* Shaking the container with potatoes and mustard dressing (unless, like my child, they get the giggles repeatedly and collapse on the floor, dropping the container that somehow, miraculously, stayed closed each time until I came to my senses and took it away).

No comments:

Post a Comment